Sunday 30 December 2012

I Like The Bus, Okay‽

I usually catch the bus 10 times a week.

There are a few times I really hate catching the bus. I hate it when it gets invaded by 30 children. I only like interracting with children on my terms, and even then I only like some of them. I'm hoping like hell that I like my own children. 
I hate waiting in the cold. 
Yesterday while I was waiting for the bus, homeless guy #1 brought a cigi off homeless guy #2. #2 was mad because #1 only gave him 11 cents. Then #2 dropped a penny on the ground and when I told him he dropped some money he said "I don't want a fucking penny, even I'm not that desperate!" He looked at me like I was the one with all the problems. Next he mutters about how the going rate for a cigarette is at least 25 cents and he simply won't accept less. Then he kicked the penny further away and I said I was just trying to help out then he (accidently?) threw the wine out of his cup and towards me. So that was fun.
I always try and make sense of situations like this. Yah-know. The how and the why. Then I remind myself that I may never understand alcoholism or this particular guy's mental illness.

I catch the bus but I don't hate it anymore.

  • Sometimes I find notes. I'm doing this thing where I pick up notes that I find. Usually it's at the supermarket (shopping lists yay!) or in cafes or on the bus or anywhere else really. I'm going to compile the more interesting ones and make a book out of them and make approximately a million and three dollars. Here's something I once found on the bus:

First there was a list: 

- Vanilla yoghurt
- Hummus
- Pita bread
- Crystal light 
- Cereal 
- Milk

Then there were words of inspiration:

Caress. In a world where you can be anything...Be yourself. 
There is only one happiness in life - to love and be loved. - George Sand
* Money might make you wealthy, but friends make you RICH. 

Next, there was this: 



Some people have too many feelings. 

Followed by some terrible song lyrics:

My nigga I'm a beast
I can go 30 days and nights I no sleep
Like the mice in the streets
The only meal that I see everyday is my cheese
I don't think you can catch up
Keep up, hey, keep up, hey. 

There was some more stuff. too. 

First critique: What kind of cereal?
Second critique: Nice Akon song, guuurl. (I guess the cheese reference was okay...)

Am I a creeper keeping other peoples' notes? Eek. 

  • Maybe I can pretend that I live in a really big and exciting city where unless you are superrich and have your own driver, everyone takes public transport. Then I don't feel like 90% of the people on the bus are below the poverty line. 
  • People-watching.
  • Sometimes I having a competition to see who has the nicest hair on the bus. Sometimes it's me. This isn't saying much.
  • Another competition: Try to make the bus driver smile.
  • I didn't catch the bus I would never read.
  • People are so effing weird. When the bus pulled up to pick me up on Friday, there was a strange-looking bald man also waiting. As the bus arrived, he muttered to himself (maybe to me also?) "I'm a fucking genius!" And I'm like...riiiiiight. Takes a genius to figure out when the bus is going to come. Then he did that thing where he got off the bus two stops up the road. Yes I am judging him. He waited for the bus longer than it would have taken him to walk there. And it wasn't even raining! 
  • On the same bus ride, some punk kid walks up to the rubbish bin and hoikes up a loogie. So the bus driver says in a southern/rural drawl: "Do that again and you're gon' have to get off this bus!" He was probably just rural, because I feel like southerners with thick accents might never leave the south. They're too busy trying to pray the gay away. So guy who spat in the bin starts eating something out of his hand. He's literally licking his hand. Like a 10-year-old with Raro back in 1998. Remember that phase? I do. It was odd. Also, all his clothes were two sizes to big. People are fascinating. 
  • Then I passed the sign that reads 'Stone Cutters'. Whenever I used to look up at that sign I would usually think of that stonecutters episode from The Simpsons, and now I always think of that episode, since whenever I see that sign, I'm reminded that I used to think of that stonecutters episode. If you get my drift.
  • So that's what happened that day.
  • If I ever say 'I don't believe in using cars' (which I may never say) then I won't be a hypocrite. I actually do believe that cities should be built for people and not cars. Go Portland. People in Portland who complain about the system can go suck it. Try living in Auckland with no car.
  • I kind of like awkward situations with strangers. 
  • I like to stare out the window.

So that's the bus.

Other thoughts from me this week:

  • You guys might not be the right people to deal with this, but the light in the laundry room for my apartment works on a sensor. Sometimes it doesn't switch on for up to 45 seconds, and I'm standing in a dark empty room waving my hands about like a sad weirdo. 
  • I don't get this whole 'Spotify' thing.
  • I mean, I guess I get it. I just don't want people knowing when I'm listening to power ballads. Hint: I'm listening to power ballads Right. Now.
  • Watch this.


I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas.

Cheerio

Liz Tritops

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment